Sunday 30 March 2008

I just got my EEE PC

I finally got my EEE PC an I'm typing this post on it. I'm far a fan. It's not perfect, but the most important part is that it's right for the price. I managed to wangle it on Salary Sacrifice which means it totaled somewhere in the realm of $300 AU. It does 90% of what our old $2500 laptop used to do and a few things extra. It's so light, in fact is scary how light it is. I'm scared of breaking it which throwing it across the room to my wife. I have massive hands so writing on the keyboard is a little cramped, but I can touch type on it without too much trouble. I think with practice it would be easy, but I have a wireless keyboard setup so I'm using that mostly. I have it hooked up to my LCD TV in the main room so the screen real estate is massive (40' instead of 7') and it scales well. Shame my Full HD TV has a few troubles with higher resolutions due to the frequency. Only problem I've had so far is that Pidgin doesn't work. The installed version won't connect to MSN or ICQ and I'm not sure why. It could be the version, it could be the network settings but it's dissappointing that it isn't working out of the box. I've crashed it once or twice as well, but no more than I would have a windows system considering that I'm trying to tweak it. If anyone ever reads these things, I highly recommend getting one. They're so cheap that if you think it sucks you'll lose almost nothing. They're great fun, and you'll really love showing off the voice command program to your friends.

No comments: