Saturday 12 January 2008

Running Ubuntu

Well I thought I'd finally give Ubuntu a shot. Good idea, I had a spare drive to install it on and figured I could set it up without impacting on my Windows setup. I'm afraid of Vista, haven't heard anything good about it yet and when I do get a new laptop i would like to have the option of something other than Microsoft's DRMware. Anyway, I found a distribution on my ISP's freezone and downloaded it at ridiculous speed. Extracted the ISO onto a CD and here I am. 2 hours is what it took me to install. Would have been one hour except that Ubuntu seems to have trouble reading the DNS servers from my router. I had to set them manually. If anyone loads Linux only to find they can ping but can't browse in Firefox, go to your router's home page (usually http://10.1.1.1 or similar) and copy the DNS servers into the network settings of Ubuntu. I have to admit if I had no computer knowledge then I would NOT have ANY IDEA what I just said. But hey, everyone has a child somewhere in the neighborhood that can help them out right? So far so good.

No comments: